Friday, August 17, 2007


Tabula Rasa



Whatever I did, I do not know in terms of what keys I pressed on the computer. All I know is that I lost approximately 10000 words on the novel I have been working on. I was not sure about the direction, so maybe this was a sign, like I have a chance to go back in time and change fate. How many times in your life do you have the chance to go back and change everything? Well writers are a special breed because we are always going back and changing things, but with the kinds of thoughts I was having maybe it is a good thing that I can go back smarter with these characters. I had just begun writing out of sequence, so those pages do not bother me that much, but the pages that led to those hurt me a lot more. I just have to pretend that I have been given a chance to do better and go with it...I cannot stop working on this piece, I have too much personally invested in it...

3 comments:

CeeCi said...

Oh LeonoreS, you're sounding so brave here, but I can sense your frustration. It's good to read you'll move forward. Likely, the story you re-create will be richer than the one that flew into the ether. Damn, how disheartening!

ciao bella~
CeeCi

Cosima said...

Argh! I cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating that must be.

I have lost work as well and after panicking a little I was able to rewrite it from memory. The funny thing was that it had much better flow than the original text ...but it was not a novel and shorter than 10000 words.

Hang in there! Hope that you will create a phoenix!

probitionate said...

Oh, Lord... No matter how you're able to rationalize the loss...it hurts. It sucks. Yes, you have a 'chance' to take a different path...but at best, by unconscious choice.

You're right; something better might result. In any case, it's reconnected you with how you feel about your creative efforts.